Scope of Work
Technical Services Manager
DAI is implementing the USAID funded Promote: Women in the Economy program across the five major population centers in the regional economic zones (Kabul, Mazar, Herat, Jalalabad and Kandahar) of Afghanistan. The objective of this project is to enable Afghan women to increase their participation in the mainstream, formal economy by securing employment with advancement potential and by helping women-owned businesses and those that employ women to grow.
Technical Services Manager will serve as the Team Leader on Women in the Economy’s Technical Services team for a period of one year. The Technical Services Manager will support the COP/DCOP Technical in the development and delivery of activities across the Women in the Economy program, particularly in the areas of reporting, communications and outreach. In addition to external Communications & Outreach functions, s/he will oversee M&E, Market Analysis, the project’s Knowledge Management Portal, and WIE Technical Working Group activities.
- Communications and Outreach: Responsible for the completion of reporting deliverables including bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports, success stories, press releases, Promote e-newsletter contributions, and ad hoc reporting as requested. Responds to USAID data calls/requests for information as needed. Responsible for the implementation of the WIE communication and outreach strategy and related activities, ensuring that WIE’s objectives, activities, and achievements are disseminated effectively to all stakeholders through a range of communication tools. Manage WIE social media platforms. Ensures USAID branding and marking requirements are met. Obtain USAID DOC approval for communications materials as per USAID requirements. Train WIE staff to improve the quality of reporting. Oversee the communications and outreach subcontractor to ensure the timeliness and quality of deliverables including PSAs, short documentaries, TEDx style talks, and a potential TV series. Supervise the Communications and Outreach Manager, translators, and WIE interns on the Communications and Outreach team.
- Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E): Review and approve deliverables of M&E subcontractor, ensure the timeliness and quality of M&E deliverables. Ensure WIE’s AfghanInfo and TrainNet reporting are submitted online as per USAID reporting schedule.
- Market Analysis: Oversees the design of market studies and surveys to obtain market analysis for WIE on product, service, labor, and financial markets as needed. Review market information requests from WIE technical teams, and ensure that suitable mechanisms are in place for activity implementation when needed. Supervise the Market Advisor.
- Knowledge Management Portal: Serves as the primary POC for the project’s knowledge management portal, an internal information management system for program technical staff. Monitors KMP usage, data quality, and reports bugs, errors. Assists with staff training on KMP as needed, with the support of two WIE IT specialists.
- Technical Working Group: Provides oversight of the Technical Working Group Advisor, and supports the development of the TWG’s collective impact initiatives.
- As Technical Services Manager, coordinates workflow and ensures communications and coordination between the TS team and WIE staff on the private sector development and workforce development components. Follows up on action items to ensure that technical services are delivered in a timely manner, and that national staff are sufficiently engaged in the implementation of activities so as to learn management, communication and oversight skills.
- 5-7 years of development program and management experience;
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, or equivalent work experience.
- A good technical understanding of private sector and workforce development topics is a bonus
- The successful candidate will have a proven track record in communications and outreach roles as well as excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- 3 years of progressively responsible work experience supporting USAID funded international development programs
- Experience working in Afghanistan or post-conflict countries is preferable;
- Excellent time management and staff supervision skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of publications software, knowledge of web and database design principles is a bonus.
- Be highly organized, able to meet tight deadlines, work under pressure, and comfortable coordinating efforts requiring inputs from several sources or individuals.
The position reports to the Chief of Party/DCOP Technical.