Title: Advocacy Coordinator
Department: External Relations and Communications (ERC)
Based in Washington, DC
Reports to the Senior Manager, Advocacy
Travel: Up to 15%
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer powered healthcare.
There are over 8,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds — from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI’s External Relations & Communications department positions PSI as a development NGO of the future and thought leader working to get to Universal Health Care. We nurture strategic relationships with donors and partners, support global services and in-country teams with external relations and provide strategic advocacy support.
We are looking for an Advocacy Coordinator to play a key role in the delivery of campaigns and activities to support PSI’s advocacy, communications and influencing agenda.
Sound like you? Read on.
Reporting to the Senior Advocacy and Communications Manager, the Advocacy Coordinator will support management and execution of the department’s advocacy-focused awards:
- In close consultation with ERC senior team members and project leads, support the development of workplans, targets and milestones for advocacy projects, in line with project objectives and overall organizational objectives.
- Develop and produce a wide range of compelling written and multimedia content to use for advocacy-related activities. Example materials could include e-mail blasts, human interest stories, micro blog posts, infographics, social media interactions, video-blogs, podcasts, etc.
- Work with digital team members to develop, write and edit materials for the web and social media, and oversee strategic deployment of social and digital communications campaigns.
- Support Senior Manager, Advocacy and Associate Manager, Advocacy with program and financial management of ERC’s advocacy portfolios, including proactive, strategic, and detail-oriented support to the country teams;
- Work with to Senior Manager, Advocacy and Associate Manager, Advocacy to ensure smooth financial and programmatic execution of awards, including monitoring of agreement modifications, outstanding commitments, and payments;
- Assist with new business development opportunities, providing technical input and ensuring adherence to NBD quality standards;
- Support the elaboration of “donor ready” proposals and reports;
- Organize, edit, and track programmatic and financial deliverables;
- Facilitate process flows and adherence to PSI policies, including timely distribution of new policies and procedures to the field;
- Manage contractors, vendors, and consultants, ensuring accurate set up and timely payments;
- Support the Financial Analyst as needed with subaward management, donor invoices, or other tasks;
- Support the organization of meetings and conferences including agendas, venue, catering, transport, and lodging;
- Fulfill other programmatic, financial, and administrative functions as required.
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt
Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin
- Strong interest in empowering women and girls, poverty alleviation or public health.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a communications-related or international development field of study.
- 1-2 years of experience working in a fast-paced office environment, particularly in an editorial or communications role, internships will be considered as experience.
- Excellent English writing and editing skills and a portfolio of quality written products for a variety of formats (e.g., blogs, articles, op-eds, etc.).
- Understanding of and experience with social and digital media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, blogging) required.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and Office 365.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills with keen attention to detail and timeliness.
- Ability to juggle multiple competing deadlines without getting flustered and with a sense of humor.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.