PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions, businesses, social enterprises, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing health challenges. With expertise in science, health, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales solutions—including vaccines, drugs, devices, diagnostics, and innovative approaches to strengthening health systems worldwide.
Tools for Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (TIMCI) is a global effort led by PATH to accelerate availability, adoption and scale-up of tools to identify severe illness and decrease mortality in children under five years of age. PATH and its primary partner, the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH), will implement a four-year project funded by Unitaid. TIMCI has two major goals that both seek to improve detection of severe disease in children under five: 1) to improve healthcare workers’ ability to diagnose severe disease by equipping them with pulse oximeters (POX) and electronic decision support tools; and 2) to accelerate the development and market entry of non-invasive devices that augment the features of a standard POX with one or more additional vital sign measurements. This high profile and potentially high impact project will begin in July 2019 and will take place in five countries: Kenya, Myanmar, Senegal, Tanzania, and the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.
PATH is seeking an Advocacy and Communication Officer who will work closely with the Project team in Senegal office and the staff in PATH Headquarters to advance critical communications and advocacy issues in the country. Working under the management and direction of the Country Team Lead, the Communications and Advocacy Officer will support the development and implementation of the Communications and Advocacy workstream for the TIMCI project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engage with PATH staff, country partners, and other key stakeholders to gain alignment and ensure high quality delivery of project outputs.
- Collect information to inform program implementation by designing and conducting desk research, stakeholder interviews, facility assessments,
- Support the development and design of Communication and Advocacy strategy for the TIMCI project in Senegal, including identifying key activities, audiences, messages, and channels.
- Work closely with the project team, government, and other key stakeholders to deploy and implement Communications and Advocacy strategy.
- Administer all aspects of the local communications and advocacy work for TIMCI
- Work with the Program Assistant to ensure proper planning, logistics, scheduling in support of workshops and other meetings such as kickoffs, Technical Working Groups, policy or strategy sessions, trainings, procurement services.
- Support community engagement through partners and civil society organizations to support project implementation
- Develop and manage communication and advocacy materials from concept to completion through research, writing, editing, formatting, proofreading, and basic design—e.g. newsletters, fact sheets, project documentation such as presentations and reports, web copy, blog posts, policy briefings, letters, submissions and other communications and advocacy products.
- Follow progress on activities and budgets and evaluate the impact of interventions (in collaboration with program officer)
- Ensure that communications are appropriate and compelling for the intended audience and purpose, are clearly and effectively organized and written, and are consistent with organizational goals and priorities.
- Other support on Advocacy and Communication required by the Country office