The Technical Advisor of Community Mobilization and Engagement will provide technical advice for an upcoming USAID project – Improving Learning for Ethiopia’s Primary Grade Students (ILEPGS) aims at improving the reading proficiency of 15 million children by 2021. The estimated cost allocated for this project is between $79-$140 million within a period of five years starting on or before May 2017. S/he will assist the Project Director in the design, roll-out and day to day management and implementation of community mobilization and engagement activities.
The Technical Advisor will work to improve community engagement utilizing and contribute to cross-cutting approaches, such as performance improvement, as well as, annual phasing in of activities. S/he will also ensure the technical and methodological soundness of activities and, in collaboration with the project team and partners, support the design of service delivery strategies, based on sound and current scientific evidence.
S/he shall have the requisite management expertise, interpersonal skills and established professional relationships to fulfil the requirements of the project. The Technical Advisor will ensure a high level of programme quality through programme performance, monitoring and reporting, and actively participates in donor relations and the acquisition of public funding.
- Provide technical oversight, strategic direction and ensure appropriate support for the implementation of project activities in demand generation and community mobilization.
- Identify appropriate facility- and community-based strategies to address demand generation and community mobilization bottlenecks that act as an impediment to effective service delivery.
- Lead the preparation of annual work plans and oversee the production of accurate and timely reports as well as other deliverables to USAID.
- Coordinate assessments, site strengthening, follow-up and supervision, advocacy, demand creation, policy support, capacity-building and M&E across project sites as required by project activities.
- Identify agencies/organizations implementing community-based activities and work with them.
- Develop and coordinate community level communication campaigns for the implementation of the project.
- Lead the formulation of approaches for scale up of demand generation and community mobilization/engagement for accessing hard-to-reach populations and to integrate services.
- Actively participate in all Technical Advisory Group Meetings for behaviour change communication, and represent Save the Children in professional forums by participating and presenting in pertinent meetings and conferences, as well as technical working groups.
- Analyse potential demand generation and community mobilization/engagement strategies within the context of the project and explain these, as necessary, to policymakers, funding agencies, and/or project staff.
- Identify demand generation and community mobilization/engagement training needs and assist in the design and implementation of measures to address those needs.
- Advocate with national, regional and community-level institutions to raise awareness about their role in improving curriculum development, teacher and administrator training, community engagement and outreach, and school-based implementation.
- Collaborate with all local stakeholders and implementing partners, especially the MOE and other US and international implementing partners, in order to ensure that all activities conform to the requirements and regulations.
- Conduct regular reporting to the Project Director, and technical staff, of successes, challenges and lessons learned in implementation related to areas of technical expertise.
- Document and maintain an inventory of successful tools and approaches for demand generation and community mobilization/engagements.
- Work closely with the Project Director on setting project priorities for demand generation and community mobilization/engagement and directions, and responding to requests for support from local counterparts.
- Work with M&E staff to design, implement a plan to track data/results related to demand generation and community mobilization/engagement.
- Post graduate degree in social sciences or related field.
- 10 years of relevant progressive experience, out of which 5 years in managerial positions with designing, managing and implementing complex community mobilization and engagement programming in developing countries involving multiple stakeholders and implementing partners.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in building community capacity to provide health services.
- Skill in demand generation and community mobilization/engagement, strengthening service delivery projects, training, performance and quality improvement, monitoring and evaluation.
- The ability to liaise with senior officials and dignitaries, executives of NGOs, business community, and senior members of the donor community.
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of local education system.
- Strong oral and written communication and presentations skills in English.
- Familiarity with USAID or other USG administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems.
- Proven track record in managing and working with a project team composed of several technical experts and fostering team work.
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity in national programs and technical staff in the areas.
- At least three years of professional experience working in Ethiopia is preferred, but not required.
Ethiopian national candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
Save the Children provides an attractive benefits package including competitive salaries, a matching retirement plan, health and welfare benefits, life insurance, an employee assistance program, generous time off and much more. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.