SCOPE OF WORK
BUSINESS AND FINANCE CAPACITY EXPERT
(SHORT TERM TECHNICAL ADVISOR)
DAI is implementing the USAID funded Afghanistan Competitiveness of Export-oriented Business Activity (ACEBA) Program. The objective of this program is to enhance capacities of Afghan exporters and micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) associated with export-oriented value chains, such as: carpets, dimensional stone, gemstone and jewelry, saffron, and cashmere as a means of promoting sustainable economic growth and increasing employment.
ACEBA requires the services of a Business and Finance Capacity Expert to build the capacity of local national staff, service providers and MSME’s in the areas of business and financial planning, financial management, and financial literacy. The expert will focus on MSMEs operating in the five value chains: carpets, dimensional stone, gemstones and jewelry, saffron, and cashmere. S/he will ensure that a best practice approach is follows in assessing simple business and financial plans and will support ACEBA in developing financial literacy products.
S/he will work from remote, but should be willing to travel to Afghanistan if necessary and conditions permit.
OBJECTIVE AND DUTIES:
With a view to preparing staff of regional export accelerators to identify opportunities, constraints and barriers to growth for businesses in targeted sectors:
· Develop storyboards for a series of short animated presentations covering key financial literacy topics for an Afghan MSME audience with limited knowledge of business and financial management. Work with an animator identified by DAI and with local national staff to produce animated presentations.
· Develop training in basic business planning and analysis; including financial analysis for new ACEBA staff.
· Deliver training remotely, via series of webinars, to enable project staff to:
· Assess the viability of business and export opportunities
· Identify business barriers
· Assess the need for funding, potential to obtain credit
· Assist businesses in completing ACEBA’s grant application/business plan/financial template.
· Training shall include a package for trainees to use as resource when performing analysis after completing the course.
· Master’s in Business Administration, strongly preferred, or other advanced degree in business, finance, economic, or other related fields;
· Demonstrated knowledge of MSME development, specially access to finance and business planning in conflict or fragile state environment;
· Minimum 15 years’ experience in supporting private sector development;
· Experience working in Afghanistan and other challenging environments;
· Experience in training curriculum;
· Experience in training and mentoring project staff;
· Private sector and financial industry experience desirable.
LEVEL OF EFFORT: Approximately 60 days
· The position reports to the Chief of Party.